Massimo Livi Bacci
Professor of Demography, School of Political Science “Cesare Alfieri”, University of Florence
Department of Statistics, Computing, Applications “Giuseppe Parenti”
Massimo Livi-Bacci was born in Florence on November 9, 1936 to a family of scholars. His father, Livio Livi, grandfather, Ridolfo, and great-grandfather, Carlo, were prominent scholars in the fields of statistics and social science, anthropology and psychiatry.
1960 – graduated from the Faculty of Political Science “Cesare Alfieri” of the University of Florence
1960-61 – studied at Brown University, supported by a Fulbright fellowship
Honoris causa doctorates at the University of Liège and at the Universidad Complutense of Madrid
Massimi Livi Bacci is a well known specialist in population history.
1962 – the University of Rome
1966 – went to Florence with a full professorship in Demography in the Faculty of Economics, University of Florence
1984 – full professorship in Demography in the Faculty of Political Science “Cesare Alfieri”, University of Florence
He has spent periods teaching and conducting research in the United States, in Mexico, in Brazil and in various European countries. Professor Emeritus of the University of Florence.
Academic Organizations Membership and Awards
Massimo Livi-Bacci is a member of:
- national “Lincei” Academy of Rome (since 1985),
- American Philosophical Society (since 2004)
- Japan Academy (2008).
In 2001 he was a recipient of the prestigious Invernizzi prize for economic and social science.
For twenty years he was at the head – first as Secretary General, later as President – of the International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP), the world association of demographers.
Has been responsible for the scientific organization of the major world population conferences sponsored every four years by IUSSP, in Mexico (1977), Manila (1981), Florence (1985), New Delhi (1989) and Montreal (1993) and initiated the contacts for the conference held in Beijing in 1997. Currently Maccimo Livi Bacci honorary president of IUSSP.
His scientific activity has dealt with various aspects of Italian and world population, in its current development as well as in a historical perspective. He is a convinced supporter of an interdisciplinary approach to population studies and believes that expansion into other fields, beyond demography, is essential for a comprehensive explanation of major research issues. At present (2010), he is following two major lines of investigation.
The first, of a historical nature, deals with the native populations of Iberian America after the conquest; the second deals with contemporary issues, namely the interaction between population change and social policies.
Massimo Livi Bacci was elected to the Italian Senate twice from Toscana: April, 2006 and April 2008.
During his long career Massimo Livi-Bacci has published a number of scientific books, essays and articles; has organized meetings and conferences; has directed and coordinated research groups; has co-founded scientific societies; and has been a consultant to many institutions, in Italy and abroad.
Following books were published during the period from 1960 till 2010 (this list does not include editorials, reviews, and minor procedures).
- “L’immigrazione e l’assimilazione degli Italiani negli Stati Uniti secondo le statistiche demografiche americane” (IT), Giuffré, Milano, 1961
- “La dinamica demografica delle regioni italiane. Previsione al 1981″(IT), Giuffré, Roma, 1964
- “I fattori demografici dello sviluppo economico” (IT), Istituto di Statistica Economica dell’Università di Roma, Roma, 1965
- “Popolazione e forze di lavoro delle regioni italiane al 1981” (IT) together with F. Pilloton, SVIMEZ-Giuffré, Roma, 1968
- “Popolazione e forze di lavoro delle regioni italiane al 1986” (IT), together with F. Pilloton, SVIMEZ-Giuffré, 1970
- “A century of Portuguese Fertility” (EN), Princeton University Press, Princeton, NY, 1971
- “The Demographic and Social Pattern of Emigration from the Southern European Countries” (EN), Dipartimento Statistico Matematico dell’Università di Firenze, Firenze, 1972
- “Law and Fertility in Europe” (EN) together with M. Kirk, E. Szabady, Ordina, Dolhain, 1975
- “A history of Italian fertility during the last two centuries” (EN), Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1977 / “Traduzione italiana Donna fecondità e figli” (IT), Il Mulino, Bologna, 1980
- “La trasformazione demografica delle società europee” (IT), Loescher, Torino, 1977
- “La société italienne devant les crises de mortalité” (IT), Dipartimento Statistico dell’Università di Firenze, Firenze, 1978
- “Donna, fecondità e figli. Due secoli di storia demografica” (IT), Il Mulino, Bologna, 1980
- “Introduzione alla Demografia” (IT), Loescher, Torino, 1981 / 1990 /1999
- “Alimentazione e popolazione. Saggio sulla storia demografica europea” (IT), Il Mulino, Bologna, 1987 /1989 /1993; /”Poblacion y alimentacion” (ES), Editorial Ariel, Barcelona, 1988 / “Population and nutrition” (EN), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1990
- “Storia minima della popolazione mondiale”, Loescher, Torino, 1989 / “Historia minima de la poblacion mundial” (ES), Editorial Ariel, Barcelona, 1990 / “Concise history of the world population” (EN), Basil Blackwell, New York, 1992 / also published in Chinese (Peking University Press), Hungarian, Japanese
- “Le risorse umane del Mediterraneo” (IT) together with F. Veronesi Martuzzi, Il Mulino, Bologna
- “Guida alla demografia” (IT) Fondazione G., curated by Massimo Livi Bacci together with G. Blangiardo and A. Golini, Agnelli, Torino, 1994
- “Etica e riproduzione” (IT) together with E. Chiavacci, Le Lettere, Firenze, 1995
- “Storia della popolazione italiana dal medioevo a oggi” (IT) together with L. Del Panta, G. Pinto, E. Sonnino, Laterza, Roma-Bari, 1996
- “A Concise History of World Population” (EN), Blakwell, Oxford, 1997
- “Storia minima della popolazione del mondo”, Il Mulino, Bologna, 1998
- “La popolazione nella storia Europea” (IT), Laterza, Roma-Bari, 1988 / also published in English (1999), German (1999), French, Spanish and Russian(2010)
- “Introduzione alla demografia” (IT), Loescher, Torino, 1998
- “Population and Poverty in Developing Countries” (EN) together with G. De Santis, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1999
- “Intervista sulla demografia” together Giovanni Errera (IT), Etas, Milano, 2001
- “Conquista. La distruzione degli indios americani” (IT), Il Mulino, Bologna, 2005 / “Los estragos de la Conquista. Quebranto y declive de los Indios de America” (ES), Critica, Barcelona, 2006
- “Avanti giovani alla riscossa” (IT), Il Mulino, Bologna, 2008
- “Povertà ed esclusione sociale in Toscana: le risposte del sistema” curated by Franca Alacevich, Massimo Livi Bacci and Alessandro Petretto, Giappichelli, Torino, 2008
- “El Dorado in the Marshes. Gold, Slaves and Souls between the Andes and the Amazon” (EN), Polity, Cambridge, 2010
- “In cammino. Breve storia delle migrazioni” (IT), Il Mulino, Bologna, 2010
- “Demografia del capitale umano” curated by Massimo Livi Bacci, Il Mulino, Bologna, 2010
- DISIA – Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni “Giuseppe Parenti”